The student who passes ENGL 0989 will be able to
· compose college-level sentences.
· compose college-level paragraphs.
· comprehend college-level writing.
Students will be able to write a freshman-level essay, demonstrating their facility with
· Purpose and Audience
· Organization and Coherence
· Making and Supporting Claims
· Grammar, Mechanics, and Syntax
Students will be able to write a sophomore-level essay, demonstrating their facility with:
· The development of an argument
· Supporting an argument through the use of evidence, analysis, and citations
· Essay-level and paragraph-level organization
· And the conventions of standard written English (Mechanics, Usage, Grammar, and Spelling)
Students will be able to
· recognize the significance of the major authors of world literature.
· recognize the significance of the canonical works of world literature.
· trace the development of the genres of world literature.
The Gen Ed Outcome for Area A1:
Students will adapt communication to purpose and audience using the conventions of standard written English.
Gen Ed Area C:
Students will apply knowledge of historical, social, or cultural influence to understanding works of human creativity.
Critical Thinking Overlay:
Students will analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information in order to make inferences and draw conclusions.
Global Perspectives Overlay:
Students will analyze the nature of historical, political, or societal issues from various viewpoints across the globe.